Sunday, June 5, 2011

Taal Fishkill

I guess I have to say a little something here before I show any of the photos. If you're the type to lose your lunch easily, then you should know I'm about to show you photos of rotting dead fish.
Ok? Ok. Photos after the jump.



fishkill3

overview fish farm

I work for a documentary filmmaker, mainly as an editor, but truthfully, it's in whatever capacity I (and my fellow filmmaking friends, hi phy and aleli) am needed. Which is how I ended up one very early morning making my way around the Taal volcano, getting lost at every possible detour along the way, to shoot the recent fishkill in Talisay (and neighboring fish farms).

taal

shoreline2

It is a rather placid scene isn't it?

fishkill1

It mostly was actually, save for the thick smell of rot and the carpet of dead fish and algal blooms. Partway through rowing across the lake I thought about what I would do if I fell in. It was a very short discussion in my mind, mostly because I couldn't fathom the very idea.

The thing is when you're right there, you're not thinking much anyway.

fisherman on fishfarm

fisherman taal

These fishermen lead very different lives from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment